Tuesday, June 30, 2009

SEO made simple

While the photographer and creator of this wonderful collage made a great thing out of garbage, I think many of us are making garbage out of a great thing with our Search Engine Optimization (SEO.)

It has been a hot topic on Etsy lately, so I wanted to post something simple and helpful for you. The best comprehensive resource I have found is Dan Theis' free E-book. I got it and signed up for his newsletter. Honestly, I don't have too much time to spend on it. What I have done so far is to search a few of my main keywords using the link he suggests, keyworddiscovery.com. Seeing the results, I changed my shop title and announcement a little to try some more effective keywords in there than what I was using.

In Etsy's blog, The Storque, you will find an article on SEO, but as of this morning, it is out of date. Hopefully they will be giving us an update pronto. We can learn from experts about optimizing our shops, but Etsy will have to be working with us for any of our efforts to be effective. Dan's info will be of higher use to you on your blogs and stand alone websites.

After Etsy does the SEO expert work they say is in process, then I am hoping we will be able to optimize our own Etsy shops.

Another great site I found where you can analyze your current SEO is at scrubtheweb.com.

Hope this helps a little.

No comments: