I finished the tunic on Friday, and this post shows the process. I am proud of myself for making my own base pattern from scratch, and I am happy with the fit of my new tunic. It is nice to have something that fits so perfectly. I will be making a longer tunic from this new pattern as well. I have always admired how Indian women look in their beautiful tunics with pants and scarves, so that was my inspiration for this project.
One of the things I learned about making my own patterns which I didn't really believe when I read it, was to make the pattern with no seam allowance, mark the seam line on the fabric and cut out including a seam allowance. This way when I stitch on the marked lines I know I've got it just right and I am not relying on my ability to make a perfect 1/2 seam allowance. I think I will keep doing that.
I made the facing pattern by tracing the front edge of the front pattern and eyeballing how I wanted the facing to look. That turned out to be 3" wide, not including seam allowance. For the back, I measured 3" down the shoulder seam and followed the neck curve.
For the slit in the sleeve, I cut 3" from the bottom along the marked center line. I finished the sleeves with bias binding that I made.
The right side of the neck facing was sewn onto the wrong side of the tunic and turned to the outside. I finished the outer edge of the neck facing with 3/8" wide twill tape. The lower portion of the facing was lined and left free to swing, like a built-in scarf or unruffled ruffle. I really like that part because it makes the top different from anything I have ever seen.
This back view was the final motivation I needed to start my diet. Look for a slimmer version of this pattern in the Fall!