Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hot Yoga Made Me Cry

I cried a little bit. I think I should have let myself cry more, but I rolled over onto my back and just let myself breathe for a minute before rejoining the class. Yes, it is that hard. I don't know what the poses are called yet. There is a pose where after sweating profusely for about an hour, you get to put your face, including your mouth on the mat. Breathing deeply through my nose, I was taken back to the tunnels under Jerusalem. Claustrophobia. Rather than bawling and throwing up (like I actually did in a Byzantine church in Bethlehem) I rolled onto my back. The floor was hot, but the ceiling was high which relieved me somewhat. I wanted to leave. I wanted cool air and sky, but I had decided to stay.  Ara, the instructor, had told us our first goal was to stay in the room for the entire 90 minute class.  We will be going back to this hot yoga class everyday for a month. Day one, my body felt like a sponge full of toxins getting wrung out. Glad to get it out. Let's see what a month does...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While flipping through Netflix streaming workouts recently, I saw one called "Hot Yoga." I almost added it to my queue, until I realized that (1), my house is not hot enough, and (2), based on the Speedo-attired men on the photo, I'm not the target audience/gender for that particular video.

I look forward to hearing more about your class!

Tracey said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 'hot yoga' but nothing like that exists here! congratulations on going! It is fantastic that you're challenging yourself like that and that you're going to go back ;)