Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Recommended Reading


For some fresh inspiration, go to the library on a rainy Saturday and spend time in the picture books. Nothing beats a concisely told humorous story accompanied by artwork. James Marshall's Victorianesque artwork for the 19th century Edward Lear ballad, The Owl and the Pussycat, is a hoot, literally. You will find it in the childrens poetry section of the library, and it also has a touching afterword by Maurice Sendak. After I bought the spotted owl fabric by Alexander Henry, intending to use it for a new tea party chair, I woke up the next morning thinking, "The owl and the pussycat went to the library on a beautiful pea green tote." So I had to make it.

A few of our St. Patrick's Day favorites may inspire you to make something or at least, cuddle up with your kids for a good read. Headband by louandlee
Patrick : patron saint of Ireland by Tomie dePaola
Finn MacCoul and His Fearless Wife a Giant of a Tale from Ireland by Robert Byrd
Too Many Leprechauns or How That Pot o' Gold Got to the End of the Rainbow by Stephen Krensky, Illustrated by Dan Andreasen
If you love hedgehogs, check out Jan Brett. Many of her childrens books feature them. Her detailed illustrations are a treat. Amy Gaines sells the pattern to make this hedgehog.

My friend, Ginny turned me on to the now famous (she even has an action figure) Seattle librarian, Nancy Pearl. Her website is a great resource for recommended reading in all genres. In fact, Ginny and Nancy told me about my favorite business related book when it first came out. Imagine this, a professor at MIT writes a book on behavioral economics that is so entertaining you will have to read portions of it out loud to your spouse, and it will change how you do business. Check it out. Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

Fun fact about reading out loud to kids: it improves their vocabulary. When my youngest was still in diapers, she would tug on my shirt and point to her diaper, saying "filfy, mama."

2 comments:

TheClayMuse said...

Awesome reading list! And that hedgehog is too cute! Thanks for the advice you posted over at my blog.. I'll have to join flickr now!(And I followed you to remind myself to check out that Am I worhty post you made!)

Fashionably Adorned said...

Hi Cherie,
I love that kitty bag! super cute!