Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Shoe Philosopher Part 5

I was walking along at my usual brisk pace, enjoying the fresh air and solitude, when I felt a small pebble in my shoe. I thought, oh, it doesn't bother me that much. It's so tiny that it hardly irritates me at all. Maybe it will find its way into a recess of my shoe somewhere that I won't feel it. Even though there were leaves fluttering in the breeze, flowers in bloom, and a cool blue morning sky, all I could picture in my mind was the inside of my shoe and the pebble that hardly irritated me at all. Then I thought of my 8 year old and how she stops on hikes to empty her shoe if anything gets in it. Kids, how funny they are... how they let such a small thing stop them...I'm a grown up, I can walk with a little pebble in my shoe. A few steps later, I realized how huge that pebble had become in my mind, and I stopped, dumped it out, and walked on pebble free. It makes me wonder, have I got any metaphorical pebbles in my metaphorical shoes? Just thinking...

4 comments:

Heather Leavers said...

hmmmm could get all deep and meaningfull about this, couldn't we?

elsie said...

I am a zero pebble tolerance kind of "girl" and always thought that meant I'm just a big baby... I think I like your take better!!

Splendid Little Stars said...

very philosophical...must think....

Randi said...

These always make me smile. Thanks for being so smart! :)