Monday, November 22, 2010

Art Galleries Netanya, Israel

My first impression of Israel was peace, the second impression - respect. The artwork hung outside the galleries which you don't really see in the US unless the watchful artist is present. I wondered, Can they really trust one another to this degree? We happened upon this place on the Sabbath, so there were only us Christians wandering about. There seems to be a genuine respect for family and tradition in Israel - so many businesses closed for an entire day every week. I was starting to feel how intimate this country is. There are so many ways I can describe Israel, yet I feel I don't really know Israel at all. The portrait in the foreground looks like the Israel I met. She is dressed for work. In fact, you can see she has been working hard, yet her hands are behind her back. She is young and fragile. Larger than her borders. Simple and beautiful. Unfinished.

1 comment:

Waterrose said...

How wonderful. My husband has family that lives in Israel...I would love to visit them someday. Looks like you had a great time. Did you bring home any fabric?