Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Yad Vashem - The Name and The Place

Our guide told us that Yad Vashem is translated The Name and the Place. Taken from Isaiah 56:1-8. This holocaust heros and martyrs museum is much more than I expected. I would put this on the must-see list. I especially appreciated the video interviews with survivors. There are places to sit and watch an interview while you are surrounded by pertinent artifacts. One could easily spend 4 hours there. I think we only spent 2, and it felt like I had to rush through the last half. There is no photography allowed inside. This photo shows a hero martyr: I don't remember his name - maybe someone on the trip got a photo of the caption for this monument. The man was a school teacher who chose to stay with his boys and be killed with them rather than abandon them to the Nazis. I spent some time today at the Yad Vashem website reading from the Righteous Among the Nations stories. What a valuable experience.

Thank you Olsun, for the info on this photo: This man - named Janusz Korczak
- was polish Jude, teacher and writer. He has wrote books for children and for teachers and parents. Sorry for my English :-)


1 comment:

oslun said...

This man - named Janusz Korczak
- was polish Jude, teacher and writer. He has wrote books for children and for teachers and parents. Sorry for my English :-)