Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Salted Chocolate...

...and other things I enjoy with my daughter. It's Spring break but not too Spring like here in Spokane, so Gabrielle and I are off in search of comfort and girly fun. As I was driving around town with her to visit some of our favorite spots, I realized I can fill in the blank about Spokane. There is no good mix of big city things to do and small town lack of traffic outside of Spokane. Coming from Seattle, lack of traffic has big lifestyle appeal.

Our favorite spots include, TheTopStitch to pick up some Amy Butler fabric and chat with the owner, Carrie Jarvis. She is a gifted sewing teacher, and Gabrielle can't wait to be old enough to take a gumdrop pillow sewing class from her. Right now, we are dreaming about redecorating G's room.

Next stop, Finders Keepers II Boutique. This shop is chock full of glitz and glamour. Warming up for a future prom, I think I better start a special savings account. I can't even try to calculate the amount of money the owner put into inventory for this store. I think she must have done really well in her original vintage shop, Finders Keepers.

That put me in the mood to scavenge for something vintage to go on the new clutch I made, so the next stop was The Classy Rack. All proceeds in this shop go to Union Gospel Mission to house and feed Spokane's homeless. The selection is really great and the prices very reasonable. This was the first time I had ventured into this shop, but I think it could become a habit. The pin I picked up really made the clutch.

The perfect end to our shopping trip, or any outing for that matter, Chocolate Apothecary. As we walked in, G heard the owner telling someone that chocolate is good for you, so she asked, how can chocolate be good for you? Susan Davis was happy to answer that chocolate is loaded with antioxidants, and the darker the chocolate the better. We spied (and sampled) some local chocolate covered sunflower seeds. They were delicate and wonderful. We bought a big bar of salted chocolate and a small square of orange flavored chocolate (G's favorite.) While we had a little visit by the cozy fireplace, quite a number of people came in for Susan's hot chocolate drinks. We will have to try that next time. Oh, yes, we will be back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day with your daughter. Salted chocolate...never heard of it but I do love to eat salty stuff with chocolate.

TheClayMuse said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me!

Randi said...

I can't even tell you how much I LOVE the Classy Rack!! WooHoo! Glad you and G are having such a good spring break. I just scored a HUGE box of seeds and I was hoping to make plantable paper with her this summer. My niece loves to make paper too. :)

StudioCherie said...

Randi, that will be a project we can both blog about. G and I are really looking forward to it!

Splendid Little Stars said...

How lovely to have a daughter with whom to go on excursions. It sounds like you had so much fun. I love the combination of chocolate with many things and salty sounds good.