Monday, January 24, 2011

Surprise Party


We spent last weekend in Seattle, celebrating my mom's birthday. Trying to throw a surprise party for a woman who wants to throw her own party was a little tricky. My sister and I did manage to pull it off, and I must add that due to Carol's hard work and imagination, we pulled it off in style.


First, how we managed the surprise: I booked an encaustic painting class with one of my Etsy friends, Janet Nechama-Miller. I told mom that her birthday was the only available time and it was my present to her. She could not say no. Janet was a wonderful hostess for our artistic adventure. Mom and I both enjoyed painting with Janet. The smell of the beeswax was wonderful and I love Janet's art. The fact that mom wants to do it again says it all.
While we were playing with paint, Carol was at home putting the finishing touches on the food. The kids were decorating the house. As guests arrived their cars were valet parked around the corner and down another street.
When we pulled up to the house, there were no extra cars and no indication of anything happening. When we opened the door, we were greeted by a huge roomful of people who all looked like my mom. They were wearing masks my sister had fashioned from a photograph. A really cool surprise.


Carol's cake was another awesome touch. She is definitely the "Martha Stewart" of the family.

No comments: