Thursday, November 5, 2009

Engage in Creativity

A look into the machinations of my cluttered mind...One of my favorite things about Etsy is the gift guides. When they announced the rustic redux gift guide a couple months ago, I started wondering how I could use burlap in an attractive way. I love the visual texture of it, but not the feel, so pillows were out. Seating was not an option. With burlap in the back of my mind, rolling around like a couple of raccoons fighting in a sack, I thought maybe I'll get some of that Joel Dewberry wood grain fabric instead. I could do anything with that. With Joel Dewberry ordered and on the way, I bought a couple of storage ottomans to cover in the wood grain fabric. That will be my rustic contribution, and the burlap will have to wait for inspiration to strike. Then inspiration struck. I sketched and visualized putting together a cathedral-quilt-look table runner. The fact that I could also put it out as a pattern, which I would not do with an ottoman, was too compelling for me. The ottomen will have to wait. I did a wood grain version and a burlap version. I have a couple more in process along with the pattern. It really is a fun project.
I aspired to be in the rustic redux gift guide because I fell in love with the idea of it. The love of the idea pushed me to create something new. Creating something new made other things late, but I have to live with that. (I need a sweatshop staff! I would keep them busy too!)
I am not in that gift guide, but the wood grain table runner made it into this voter. If you like it, you can cast a vote for it by logging into your Etsy account, clicking the button below the picture, and clicking on the vote now button at the bottom. Placing high in the vote would get the runner into the members choice gift guide. That's a good one to watch too.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Voted for you 'cause I love these!!!!

Midnightcoiler said...

Cherie, The design of these runners is beautiful. The contrasts of materials and texture of the burlap one is just gorgeous! I can see this in so many decor settings, from primitive, cabin, chic rustic to modern natural. Great job. It's amazing how the difference in materials give something a whole new look.

Heather Leavers said...

I'm just going to agree with midnightcoiler! Well expressed.

Pamela Zimmerman said...

inspired! but then, you are so often inspired...wishing i had your sense of style!

Waterrose said...

I love this design and the burlap is perfect. I think that challenges and competitions help us stretch our creative minds to new heights. That would be so beautiful on a holiday table!